Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Week 2 – Day 1, 2, & 3 (OMG IT’S FREAKIN HOT)

Week 2 instruction: Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Week 2 went very well. C was with me all three days. Right from the beginning we were able to jog the entire 90 second intervals with no trouble. The worst thing was that it got progressively hotter as the week went on. I was a sweaty mess. But really, I don’t mind – sweating is good for me! All is still good in the pain department.

Day 1 – 8/13
Run time: 30:26
Run Distance: 1.91 miles
Ave Pace: 15:56/mi
Temp: HOT

We both felt good about moving on to Week 2. Nothing else of note about this day.

Day 2 – 8/15
Run time: 29:55
Run Distance: 1.93 miles
Ave Pace: 15:31/mi
Temp: HOTTER

We picked up our speed a bit on Day 2 which made it seem more difficult. C is definitely able to go faster than me so I think having her along has made me push to increase my speed. I usually fall 10 or 20 ft behind her on the jogging intervals but I try my best to catch up. At the end I was determined to make it to my driveway at under 30 mins so we ran the last few ft for a big accomplishment! Yay us! ;)

Day 3 – 8/17
Run time: 31:26
Run Distance: 1.92 miles
Ave Pace: 16:23/mi
Temp: UGH I CANT SEE YOU THROUGH THE SWEAT IN MY EYES

Brought River on warm up walk and then put him back inside. First jog interval was easy and felt great. By the end we were dying but we pushed 10 seconds longer on the last jog interval. It was very hot and oppressively humid – we were sweating before we even started jogging.

Day 3 was by far the worst and it shows in our pace. It was my fault. The days before (on Sat and Sun) were spent getting a guest room in our house cleaned and set up. It was our old office before we moved the office into the renovated basement. We had left it a horrible mess and it was a lot of work. Sorting through crap, throwing stuff away, vacuuming and dusting, moving furniture… I must have gone up and down our two stair cases a hundred times. My butt and my thighs and my knees were really sore from all those stairs so on Day 3 (yesterday) I was hurting and going slow.

I made it though and today my legs and knees feel better.

We will be moving on to Week 3 on Thursday. Hopefully it’s less humid!

5 comments:

  1. You are kicking butt! I cannot wait to be able to run again- it hurts, but feels SO good, right?

    Soon you'll have nicer Fall temps for the runs and beautiful leaves to look at too. I am sure it is gorgeous in the NE in the Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you. It sounds like you're off to a great start! I've always thought about being a runner...unfortunately that's as far as it's gotten. So I'll just run vicariously through you for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. like the new format... didn't know you were into crochet, me too! just started on an afgan for a friend's wedding present =) glad that you've kept your motivation in this sweltering weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you are such a better person than i am! i go to the gym and hear the elliptical but Husband is the marathoner in our family. my person belief is that running should be reserved for being chased by a dog or the ice cream man.

    iclw

    -alison
    runamokamok.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey great, I am also a 'runner' - it is in inverted comma's because I wouldn't exactly class what I do as running, more like plodding I think. I am training for a run at the moment as well, I am doing a 10km on the 11th of October. I have done a fun run in a long while so it will be interesting for sure!!

    Good luck and a great informative post!

    Cheers,

    Journey Girl ICLW

    ReplyDelete