Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Inevitable

R's maternal grandmother has been in the hospital since Saturday, May 2nd, and she's not going to make it.

She is 97 years old. She fell and broke her leg (high up near her hip) on Saturday and things just started falling apart from there. It's just crazy to me that the doctors can't do much of anything for her. At this point, there are so many things wrong, all they can do is keep her comfortable and wait for the end.

It's really surreal to know that right now she's alive - as far as I know - but in the next few hours/days she will die. My grandpa died this past November and ever since then I've been contemplating death more than I ever have before in my life. It is a scary, mysterious thing. I don't know quite what to think about it.

This is not a particularly emotional time for me but I feel so badly for R and for R's mother. I wish they didn't have to experience her death. I wish I could make her better so they would be spared the pain and sadness.

But I can't - and now it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry she's not doing well. The surgery to fix it might be too taxing on her and that's why they won't do, hopefully they can keep her comfortable. 97 is a long life!
    Enjoy this last time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's grandmother. It's never easy to lose someone. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete