Friday, January 2, 2009

First Post

I'm sitting here at work thinking about all the things I'd like to say and do with this blog and also about all the things I should be doing at work...

I guess I'll start by explaining the blog title. The phrase "pity boat" is something I used to use when I was in highschool and I was feeling bad about myself. No matter what it was, too fat, bad hair, friend problems, boyfriend problems, school problems, parental problems, or even just a general feeling of blah, I'd use it to describe how I was feeling and to joke about it with my friend. "All aboard the pity boat! wooo woooo" and off I would go in my complaining.

Now-a-days I think I "board the pity boat" a lot less often but I still think of it every now and then. If I'm being really hard on myself about something or other I'll think of it and smile. So, while it sounds like a really negative title, it's not so very negative to me. Maybe it won't be the title forever (maybe I should have called it "Random Ramblings" since I'm getting the feeling that is where this blog is going).

Being a new year and all (2009... so crazy), I've been thinking a lot about weight loss and making some goals for myself (weight and non-weight related). I know this is a common thing that a lot of people think about during this time of year. I'm hoping that having this journal of sorts and writing down my goals will help me stick to them. I think I'll make a separate post all about this stuff in the next couple days.

Current Events
- Tomorrow I will be visiting my grandmother (about 2.5 hours away) for the weekend. I am making it a point to visit her a lot more this year than I have in the past. This will be a good start. Can't wait to see you grandma!

- Last month we had a crazy ice storm, lost power for three days and our basement flooded because of the no power situation. The main area that flooded was also a finished area :/ So, right now, we are in the middle of renovating our basement. It will be awesome to be able to use that space when we are done (we were using it before just as temporary storage) but it is definitely a pain in the butt to be going through.

So far we've:
had all the water cleaned up by ServPro and then they bent us over big time with the bill
ripped out all the walls, ceilings, fixtures
put in a new tankless water heater to replace our 10+ yr old one (hey, why not?)
had our french drains cleaned out
had the basement floor in both "finished" and "unfinished" area cleaned, primed and painted

The paint is still drying on some areas of the floor but at least I can do laundry again! yay Boxes and stuff that really belongs in the basement is strewn about our house right now and it sucks. Hopefully we will be able to start bringing stuff down to the "unfinished" storage side of our basement this weekend.

- We still have our christmas tree up... no clue when that sucker's comin down.


Well, this was a long first post. I'll stop for now. Here's hoping 2009 turns out to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment