Thursday, March 4, 2010

Running Again! (and New Goals)

I went running last night!

3/3/10
Run time: 30:20
Run Distance: 1.98 miles
Ave Pace: 15:19/mi
(and 100 crunches afterwards)

Ok, so that pace isn’t really “running”. haha

C (my youngest sister) went with me. I told her yesterday during work that I wanted to start up again soon and to my surprise she said she had been thinking the same thing. I wasn’t planning for that night but I decided spur-of-the-moment to jump back in immediately.

We went in my neighborhood loop and the larger loop (adjacent neighborhood). It was chilly! but tolerable. The worst was the wind. Brrrrr It was in the high 30s / low 40s yesterday so it was probably low 30s last night. Much below freezing is just too cold for C and I, which is why we fell off the jogging wagon for the past 3 months. Well, the cold and the snow and ice that we would have to run through. Yuck.

I have stayed slightly active with yoga once a week, a few random jogs and walks, and some other exercise (including Wii Fit in Jan and Feb). I was able to jog the entire 30 mins. I was really surprised – I didn’t think I would be able to do it. I had no pain and felt pretty good for the entire time. Today, I’m pretty tired and my outer thighs and hip areas are sore but nothing concerning.

C had to stop and walk close to 1/3 of the time but she still kept up with me without much issue. She needs new shoes badly – she jogs in my really old sneakers. Hopefully I can convince her to go with me and buy actual running shoes soon.

We are going to try to jog 3x a week from now on.

My new goal is to hit or exceed a pace of 12:59min/mile which will mean I’m jogging approximately 2.25 miles in the 30 mins. I think the fastest C and I have ever gone is ~13:56mins/mile. I also plan to slowly work up to actually being able to jog for 3 miles (in more than 30 mins if needed). So I guess that’s another goal – to jog for 3 miles straight. I’d like to get to one of these two goals, or both, by June.

I’m still going to yoga every Wed and still loving it. An additional goal of mine is to find another class (or a good video) and add on a yoga session per week on a regular basis.

I also have some weight loss goals but I’ll discuss those in another post.

Please don’t snow/rain tomorrow night! I have to go running! :)

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your running again. I think it is awesome that you are so motivated and set goals, very cool. Have a great weekend Jill. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I just posted that I am back on the saddle, too! So exciting. I think setting goals is a great way to keep up. When J and I started really trying to get some distance in, we signed up for a 5K a few months out. That was a great motivator for us because our goal was just to be able to run the entire thing without having to walk. Granted, my "run" is more like his "jog," but I didn't have to walk and it felt so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing yoga on wednesdays too! Not running though but I'll be back on the wii fit this weekend it's a promise! Well done you on getting back on the jogging, definitely a great step forward in the fit plaza! Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!

    I suggest you concentrate on distance for now, even better, watch only time spent running. Speed will come once you're doing more mileage and what's most important, run regularly.
    Keep up the good work!

    Are you familiar with the "Couch to 5K" program?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooooooo chickie! Great news that you are back to your exercise. So glad your sis can be a workout buddy. I look forward to your post that tells us more about your weight loss plans too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that the weather is allowing you to get out and enjoy yourself!! That's awesome - I'm amazed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for running again! I'm trying to lose some weight too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for starting up again!! Good luck achieving your goals. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on getting started again :). I need to start that myself! Maybe this mild weather we're having will make it easier...

    ReplyDelete