Saturday, June 12, 2010

Tsunami

I love watching documentaries on nature, the earth, natural phenomenons, etc. Especially ones on the ocean and the life within it. Recently I watched a special on a tsunami that hit Thailand. It was fascinating.

It was a beautiful day, the waves lapping onto the beach, and then receding, over and over. The next wave came up but didn't recede. It kept coming further and further onto land. It was very calm - the water just kept surging forward, going around buildings and trees and cars, and into resort pools.

Then the water started receding... and receding, further and further. Much further than the normal tide was minutes before. The beach was extended by what seemed like hundreds of feet. The tsunami was pulling all the water out into the giant surge that was about to hit. The first surge was like a warning. A warning of the enormous amount of water that was about to crash onto land and do massive damage.

-------------------------------------------
I know this is bizarre but I thought of all this tsunami stuff because of the crazy AF I'm having. Day 1 was the first little surge, the warning. Then it tapered off to nothing at all. Yesterday afternoon the tsunami hit.

Ugh. I haven't cramped this badly or had an AF this heavy for years and years. It's annoying and of course, disappointing (down with hope! down with hope!). Last night I was suffering through wave after wave and started day dreaming that I was someone on that "I didn't know I was pregnant" show and about to give birth.

But, it might be a good sign.

Maybe the medicine I've been taking and the lifestyle changes I've been making and the weight I've been losing is making a difference. Maybe this is a start to a future of more regular cycles. Maybe even *gasp* ovulatory ones...

19 comments:

  1. Definitely a good sign in my opinion, becasue a proper good shedding will make a fluffy lining at the next cycle! Everything crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Korea when that Thailand tsunami hit - so many of my students and fellow teachers were there on Christmas vacation and it was a terrifying thing to just wait and see if they'd all come back. Luckily, most of the tourist areas weren't hit as hard...
    Sorry you're having a painful period, but hopefully this is the start of some regular cycles for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you're in such pain, but I'm going to take it as a wonderful sign, too. It sounds like your body truly, truly wants to do what it's supposed to here. Sending you lots of thoughts and hopes to feel better SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely take it as a good sign - your body's working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the cramps mean eggies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's for ovulation for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, really does sound like a tsunami! I also hope it means good things!

    And thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here from ICLW - I clicked on, because you have the best blog name ever. Is that weird?
    I want to learn all about running from you (pressure!) so I will be back!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  9. same thing happened to me....I always referred to AF as Niagara Falls....but Tsunami is pretty good!

    Here from ICLW...This is the first month I am trying to do it!

    I am a NY girl....Western NY, but also lived in Central Upstate NY.....

    Have a terrific day despite the Tsunami....

    ReplyDelete
  10. It always sucks when AF comes and we were hoping for it to be the month - I always try to think of it as an opportunity to try again. That is the only way it is bearable sometimes!
    Hi from ICLW and good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Gosh! That I didn't know i was pregnant show is torture. Every time I had an upset stomach I swore it was because I was about to give birth. I blame that show.

    Here's to normal cycles! Cheers!

    Ashlee, ICLW #180

    ReplyDelete
  12. AF's like that are the worst! I hope it is a good sign for you, though :) Very apt metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you are choosing to look at it positive! Popping in from ICLW!! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy ICLW

    I really hope those awful cramps and AF means something very good for you! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    www.babywid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hate the cramping for you but hope that you are right in the changes you think may be making a difference and that they are for the better and productive!!!!!

    Lori ICLW 105

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have my fingers crossed for you for a great cycle!

    ICLW
    http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's a good sign! All that hard work is paying off!

    By the way, I love the water in your background. It makes me wish I was swimming right now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so think its a good sign. Thinking of you. Talk soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete